This was an experiment that went down well
4 med size baking potatoes
75 to 100g Caledonian blue
150ml double cream
Tbl spoon butter
4 cloves garlic
2 rashers smoked back bacon (4 streaky)
salt and pepper
- Peel and slice potatoes and place in a pan of salted boiling water or until potatoes are cooked but not too soft
- in the meantime chop onion and 1 clove garlic and fry in a frying pan with some oil for 3-5 minutes on a low heat
- Chop bacon into small pieces and fry for a further 3-4 minutes until cooked but not crispy.
- Remove potatoes from heat and drain and add to the frying pan along with a good sprinkling of oregano and basil, season and cook for about 8 minutes or until potatoes start to go slightly brown remove from the heat and layer into an oven proof dish.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C
- For the sauce finely chop the mushrooms and remaining 3 garlic cloves and fry in the butter with a healthy helping of black pepper and sea salt less if using table salt.
- Add the double cream and chop the cheese into quarters and add to pan turn up the heat to medium and stir continuously until cheese has melted
- once sauce is nice and thick add into the dish with the potatoes
- there should be enough sauce to just cover the potatoes and no more
- place in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes on top go slightly brown.
I’ve not tried man u different ways just without mushrooms but It’s not as good
it would be nice if in the sauce shallots are used instead of onions
as a cheat I sometimes buy Aldi’s pan-fried potatoes and just throw the packet in the pan and make the sauce and add them together.
- Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (tasteofmolly.wordpress.com)