This recipe is very simple, very tasty and really interchangeable too.
8 good quality sausages
4 slices of Black pudding
2 large onions
4 cloves of garlic
handful of chestnut mushrooms roughly chopped
1 red chilli chopped de-seeded
2 400g tins of tomatoes
1 tin of beans drained (cannellini or haricot are my preferred choice but you can use any)
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon paprika
splash Worcester sauce
tablespoon of olive oil
Salt and pepper
- heat a large pan or preferably a hob safe caserole dish, add olive oil fry onions for 4-6 minutes, turn heat down and finely chop garlic and add to pan with chilli and fry for 2-3 minutes
- add tins of tomatoes, spices and worcester sauce, season to taste before adding beans and bringing to the boil
- preheat oven to 200°C
- while that is cooking chop sausages into bite size chunks and half each slice of black pudding (it will break up when cooking)
- add to the pan and add water until sausages are covered bring to the boil
- once boiling, remove from heat and place in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the sauce has thickened
- serve it in a bowl with crusty bread or on a plate with mustard mash or a baked potato
The thing thats great about this recipe is if you don’t have all the ingredients you can swap some round and great other fascinating dishes.
- try adding carrots parsnip or turnip.
- leave out the black pudding, add a table spoon of tomato puree and a couple of chunky chopped peppers, oregano, basil and some finely grated Parmesan. Once it has been in the oven for 25 minutes. add some boiled pasta and top with grated chedder and bake for 10 minutes
- swap sausage, black pudding and beans for some diced chicken, chorizo and chickpeas. Make sure you fry the chicken till its cooked before adding the chorizo and frying for a further few minutes then adding the tins of tomatoes.